Tuesday 8 January 2013

Staple Wardrobe: Outerwear

Hello lovelies,

How are you all doing?  Getting back into the swing of things after the holidays?  Truthfully, I am having a hard time.  It's much more fun to stay home with the boy, work on crafts and home projects, watch Walking Dead marathons until 5 AM (haha, yeah, that actually happened), or curl up near the fire with a steaming cup of hot cocoa.  Unfortunately, it's time to get back to work and make some money :)

I have been trying to tighten up my morning routine to be able to get ready in 30 minutes.  It really helps to set out outfits ahead of time that you'd like to wear for the week ahead.  But that takes some time and planning and sometimes I just like to fly by the seat of my pants when finding something to wear.  One thing that I've found that makes dressing for the day easier, is having a staple wardrobe, which I talked about here.

Since it's cold and wintery outside right now, I thought that outerwear would be the best place to start.  Below I've got 6 jackets that are essential to any girl's wardrobe.  This is just my opinion and what I've found works, if you've got any suggestions, please leave them in the comments below.  I'd love to hear what you think.


1. First up, is a jean jacket.  This is awesome paired with a sundress or tunic.  Try to pick one that fits well with not too much detailing so it can translate from year to year without going out of style.

2. Next up is a well-fitting leather jacket.  Black or brown, keep it neutral is my suggestion.  That way, it can work with anything you currently have in your closet.

3. The boyfriend blazer is one of my must haves.  Again, keep it neutral so you can pair it with a slew of different things, such as a dress, jeans and a tank, or anything else your little mind conjures up. 

4. This is vital for living in Canada, but if you live in a warm climate, you can nix the parka.  Keeping things a neutral colour with the jacket will allow you to mix in fun cold weather accessories, like below.

5. Every girl needs a classic trench in their closet.  Some of you may disagree but I think this is a great way to look professional when you can't take off your jacket.  Going on a work trip with colleagues and not sure of the weather where you're going?  Throw on your trench and you're set.

6. Another way to look professional and presentable while wearing a jacket.  Let me introduce the wool peacoat.  I have a blue peacoat pictured here, which can translate into a neutral if you choose the right blue.  Make sure to pick a colour that you'll be able to live with for years to come.

7. I say that a fitted blazer is one of the most versatile pieces in any girl's closet.  One black one will do, but if you want to switch it up, I'd say go for a gray or navy.

8. The casual cotton jacket is an easy throw-on and go piece.  Good for those days when you're running around doing errands.

And that's my closet staple suggestions for outerwear.  What do you think about my selections?  Anything you'd add or take away?  Do tell.

I'll be back later in the week for what's essential to own for covering your top half. 

Tata for now.
xoxo.

No comments:

Post a Comment